Thursday, October 13, 2011





There was one day in Bologna that I had all to myself. While my family took the train south to the small village of Riola to see a church designed by architect Alvar Aalto, I walked to town exploring the area on foot, enjoying an opportunity to visit its colorful, lively markets. I headed straight for il Quadrilatero where many gourmet food shops are located. The streets were alive with people. Shopkeepers were as busy as cranberry merchants at Christmas time! The various aromas coming out of the small cafes and restaurants were intoxicating. I joined the many people who were admiring the fresh food and flowers that were situated either in front of or inside centuries-old buildings in narrow alleys. People have shopped here for thousands of years, no wonder it was so close to perfect! What a great place to live! On one corner of Via Pescherie I could have stood there all day just watching the people. However, I had some shopping to do for family and friends back home, and this was my chance to do that without Tim and John having to wait for me. Also, there was lunch to look forward to on my own. If looking at food is fun, tasting it is even better!